January 23: Drawing on Pots with Sasha Wachtel
In this one day workshop we’ll bring drawings and paintings to life on pottery. We’ll learn how to transfer designs directly to pots, and how to apply metallic oxides and underglazes to achieve different effects, from washes of bright color to precise line drawings. Often, potters assume that drawings on clay can only be applied under a glossy surface. Here, we’ll learn to inlay them into a food-safe matte one as well. This workshop is appropriate for all skill levels; if you don’t have your own ceramic pieces, there will be pre-made plates and cups for you to work with. If you are a potter, bring your work— ideally, one bisqued and one leather hard piece.
Sasha Wachtel has been a potter for more than two decades, and has taught and exhibited in Berlin and New York as well as here in Los Angeles. Her work combines wheel throwing with handbuilding, and she loves to develop techniques for applying her figure drawings to her ceramics. See more of Sasha’s work here.
Sasha will be teaching in our Santa Monica studio to a limited number of students and will also be broadcasting live on Zoom. We have several options for participation:
1) Join live and in person in Santa Monica -- we provide tools and materials for you to use, and we will fire your pieces. Cost: $200
2) Join live on Zoom -- we provide tools and materials for you to use and keep after class, and we will fire your pieces. Supply kits will be available for pickup at the Santa Monica studio. Cost: $220
3) Join live on Zoom without tools, materials, or firing provided by the studio. Cost: $185
4) Watch a recording after the fact (available through 1/30/21). Cost: $100
If you’ve taken a class with us in the last six months, send us an email letting us know what class you took, and we will send you a special discount code.
*Access to the recording will be provided to in person and online participants as well.
Date: Saturday 1/23/21
Time: 2:00-5:00 PM
Location: Still Life Studios
850 Pico Blvd
Santa Monica, CA 90405
OR Join online live on Zoom
Materials: Toolkits provided in options 1 and 2 above include:
- 1/2 pint Amaco Satin Matte White glaze
- small container of black underglaze
- X-Acto knife or similar
- wax resist
- a selection of oxide washes
- 2 paint brushes (small and medium)
- 2 pieces of transfer paper
- 1 small piece of leather hard greenware
- 1 small piece of bisqueware
Skill level: All skill levels welcome
Policies: Masks and social distancing are required at all times at the studio. Cancellations made 4 or more days before the start of the workshop will be refunded. A 50% refund or credit toward another class or workshop will be given for cancellations made fewer than 4 full days before the start date.